Saturday, October 01, 2005

A beautiful day in the city


I was in San Francisco yesterday, and it was one of those gorgeous Indian summer days. We've had a pretty cool summer overall, and our Indian summer came late this year.

My eye doctor says that I'm ready for my followup LASIK procedure, so I'm scheduled for early November. Hurrah: only a few more weeks to 20/20 vision without glasses. (I'm currently 20/30 or 20/40, depending on the eye -- fine for using the computer or driving, but not great for reading the whiteboard from far away or hunting for house numbers while driving.)

While I was in the city, I had lunch with Alison at the Soluna Cafe. The food was unremarkable, but what was remarkable was that I've known Alison since junior high but haven't seen for just about 20 (!) years. That's definitely an all time record for "gap between actual sightings." It was great to catch up, and hopefully it won't take another 20 years for our next outing.

Like a dope, I forgot to take a picture of us having lunch, so I had to settle for consolation photos of nearby San Francisco City Hall.

Reflecting on long arcs of our lives from the mid 1980s to today got me thinking about the Big Questions. Am I doing what I love? Am I living where I'd like? Is my family pointed in the direction I want it to be? Am I being the kind of dad I should be? (Coincidentally -- or maybe not so coincidentally -- I'm writing this entry while listening to the Big Hits of the 80s station on Yahoo Music.)

Obviously these questions are too big for this blog, but let me simply say that I am grateful for friendships that can span decades and God's many blessings on me and our family.

No comments: