Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Even more photos

We've experimented with a few photo hosting sites for a few years now:
  • We began with the now nearly-defunct Webshots (it doens't always pay to be the first mover)
  • ...then moved onto Shutterfly and similar sites mostly optimized for ordering prints and mugs and stickers and other stuff
  • ...and even dabbled a bit with the super-popular Flickr (now part of Yahoo)...gotta love the tagging system!
There sure are a bewildering number of choices these days. I imagine the choices will narrow some as the industry consolidates. Wonder when Google is going to throw down and create the online companion to its awesome photo organizing software Picasa? I'm actually hoping they'll just extend Blogspot itself, but who knows what they're up to?

Anyway, for the time being, we're settled in at Smugmug.

If you're wondering where to set up your own digital photo library, browse through a few of these site comparisons:

2 comments:

Christine Szeto said...

Wish I checked out the articles before committing to flickr. I think I would have gone with smugmug, but I must admit-the photo community on flickr is pretty extensive. So I'll console myself with that point.

Frank said...

Yeah, the tagging on Smugmug is pretty anemic.