Saturday, June 24, 2006

If I wasn't in software, I'd probably be working on alternate energy

If I wasn't working in enterprise software, I'd likely be working on alternate energy. I would love to see America kick its dependence on foreign oil and shift more its electricity generation to renewable energy sources (two very different goals, by the way).

Even as a young child, I felt an aversion to throwing away batteries. And when I got to Stanford, one of my few organized extracurricular activities was working on the Stanford Solar Car Project.

That's why I'm so pleased to see engineering advances emboided in the car above, which gets nearly 3,200 miles to the gallon. That's not a typo. Hats off to students at the University of British Columbia who created this tiny, incredibly efficient traveling machine. I wonder how many mpg cars will get by the time I retire?

No comments: