Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The new Prius -- and an unfortunate milestone



So first, the happy number: while driving into work today, I got 73.6 mpg in the Prius. Of course, I'm helped by rolling down a hill on the way to the freeway. Then I got into a bit of slow traffic on 101 which is when the Prius switches to mostly-battery mode. For comparison, my all-time high in the Passat was about 41 mpg (all green lights and no traffic on the freeway).

For the round trip commute today, I got 63 mpg, which means that the Prius burned less than 2/3 of a gallon of gas during my 40-mile round trip commute through stop-and-go traffic. (On a stop-and-go-traffic day like today, the Passat would probably burn more than that going one way -- and the Passat is one of the most fuel stingy sedans out there.)

Now for the unfortunate milestone: Autoblog Green reported today that crude hit an all time dollar high of $88.20 a barrel today.

Note 1: that's not inflation adjusted -- oil hit $90 a barrel in 1979.
Note 2: Crude futures actually closed at $87.61 today.

No comments: