Saturday, March 14, 2009

So close...yet so far

So I have to talk to a person to cancel my Vonage service. I called the service number, and I was pleasantly surprised that:
  • The up front computerized prompts were clear and easy to navigate by speaking
  • The voice recognition was outstanding -- it correctly understood me when I said my phone number as well as the answer to my security question which I had typed in at registration time
  • The automated responses were clear and struck the right tone ("I'm sorry to hear you want to cancel your account. I can help you with that.")
I was just about to record this (FTW, as they say on the Web) as a surprisingly pleasant customer service experience -- until it dropped me off to a recording that said their offices were only open on weekdays. Aaaarrgghh!

From FTW to FAIL in one easy step. They knew that I needed to talk to a real agent early in the interaction -- and rather than take me through more prompts, they should have just told me that immediately.

No comments: