Saturday, February 16, 2008

Google Reader

After using Mozilla Thunderbird and a few Web-based apps to read my RSS feeds for years, I've switched over to Google Reader.

Why, you might ask?

Here's the rundown:
  1. Access from anywhere. The obvious reason: the list of feeds and unread articles is available from any browser. Now I don't have to be at home to follow the feeds I care about.
  2. Compelling user experience. This is really a first rate Web application that does almost everything as well or better than a rich client. Don't get me wrong: Thunderbird is a 10x better email/RSS client than Outlook. But since Google Reader isn't trying to double as an email client, it's easier to navigate, supports more features, has plentiful and intuitive keyboard shortcuts, and even supports offline viewing with Google Gears. Speedy, too.
  3. Easier sharing. If you look in the right column of this blog, you'll now see a handful of the articles I found interesting. I don't have always have the time inclination to comment on what I'm reading -- so this is the lazy man's way of just saying, "hmmm: mildly interesting...check it out."
  4. Spot-on recommendations. Google Reader suggests blogs based on what other people are reading, and the recommendations are much better than Tivo recommendations (which I've found to be generally bizarre).

No comments: