Monday, January 09, 2006

Back Dorm Boys

Google Video now offers NBA games, old episodes of MacGyver, and other video content that will display right in your browser for a buck or two a view.

At Oracle, I actually worked on interactive TV networks and have always wondered when we'd all be connected to a big media jukebox in the sky. Between this and Apple's iTunes, it looks like the day is not far off.

Though I have to say that I'm surprised Google beat Yahoo to the punch here. Of the two search companies, Yahoo has always been the more media oriented. I bet heads are rolling over at Yahoo.

Anyway, Google Video is also making it easier to embed their video content in Websites and blogs. Once you find a video you like, click on the "Put on site" link for HTML you can cut-and-paste into your blog entry.

Here's one of our family favorites: it's a webcast of two Chinese undergrads doing a wildly popular lip-sync to a Back Street Boys song. For more on and from these guys, check on this blog which I found via del.icio.us.

2 comments:

ivan said...

I was eager to try out the video purchase so I downloaded a Lakers vs. 76ers NBA game. It takes a LONG time to download a 100 minutes of video...

Rob and Jen said...

I heard on NPR that these guys have been hired by Motorola as spokesmen in China. See this link: http://www.tian.cc/2005/10/asian-backstreet-boys.html